Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Pumpkin House....

There is this house a few miles up the road from us that we have always called "The Pumpkin House". Thats because every Labor Day weekend, just like clockwork, they transformed their front yard from a regular lawn to a virtual sea of orange pumpkins. This has been going on for at least....well, we have lived here for 25 years, so its been that long. Maybe longer. Those people (I don't know their names) have supplied this county with pumpkins for decades!!! I always looked forward to it. Even though its still hot here in early September, it was a sign that fall was on its way.

This year, for some reason, there are NO pumpkins. I have no idea why. I don't know if they are getting older and have decided to retire from the pumpkin business. Or maybe the drought has something to do with it. Maybe pumpkins didn't grow well in this area. I keep hoping that maybe they are just late. Can dry weather delay the harvest for a few weeks? I don't know. Maybe I am just holding on to false hope, like Linus waiting in the pumpkin patch for the Great Pumpkin who never arrives. But I do know that I miss them. The pumpkins in the grocery store just aren't the same. How can fall come with NO pumpkins at The Pumpkin House????
I have half a mind to stop by and ask them whats going on. They don't know me, and they will probably think I am a crazy person, but I want to know.

No comments: