Monday, April 14, 2008

HOT


Anybody who has been around me for more than, oh, let's say about 30 seconds over the past year or so would know that I have been having these wonderful hot flashes on a continual basis.
Its been persistent since the hysterectomy, but honestly? I was having them to some degree even before that. Its really inconvenient and uncomfortable. At the bridal shower on Saturday, Hannia's Mom, Ruth was wearing a long-sleeved sweater. And the other women in there were complaining about how cold it was. One lady contemplated running out to her car to get a jacket.
And me? I was hot. Not just a hot flash hot, but apparently my internal thermostat is so screwed up that I stay overly warm continually. The actual flashes are just a little added bonus that makes me feel like I am about to spontaneously combust. I was wearing a nylon slip with my dress, and I was so sweaty that it was clinging to me in all the wrong places. I came home and ordered myself a cotton slip. Apparently I am going to have to pick and choose what fabrics I wear very carefully. And cotton slips....well, they are really hard to find. I finally found one at the Vermont Country Store. I can't wait for it to get here.

My husband has been really good about all of this. Very accomodating. My house has the cold chill of a tomb, but its the only way I can be comfortable right now. I have no idea how long this "change of life" thing is supposed to go on, but I hope its over soon. And just for the record, I AM taking hormone replacement therapy. As high a dose as my Dr. will allow. And if its helping then I do not even want to know what it would be like without it. I guess I would be walking around with fire shooting out of my skin like a flame-thrower.

Anyway, I have done some checking around and reading up on the problem. Especially since summer is right around the corner. I can't tell you how bad I am dreading summer....ugh. I am finding that there are some new fabrics out there to help minimize the discomfort. Fabrics that wick moisture, and help cool off the body. I ordered a nightgown (again, from Vermont Country Store) that promises to keep me cool overnight. It was kind of pricey, so I intend to try it out before I order more. But you know....if it works, its worth every single penny. So far most of the stuff I have found are either athletic type clothing for working out, or sleepwear for those nightsweats. Somebody, somewhere ought to design some decent every day apparel for women who have broken thermostats. Seriously, one of the articles that I read said that the skin temperature during a hot flash can go up as much as 10 degrees. That high of a fever could cook you alive from the inside out. And thats what I feel like....like I am roasting in a microwave oven.
I am not having fun, but hopefully it will resolve itself in the near future...???? Please????

Anyway, as I was researching clothing that might help save my sanity, I ran across a t-shirt that made me laugh. It said, and I quote:

" I'm still HOT!
It just comes in flashes now...."

HAHAHAHA.

2 comments:

Hannia said...

well, to be fair, in my family we all have our thermostat broken the opposite way. i'll grab a blanket and put it over on a hot day. ask stephen!

Anonymous said...

I can relate in that when I drink any alcohol now, my ears turn bright red and feel as if they are going to burst into flames. Calvin has sworn that he has burnt his fingers touching my ears during an episode. I had a drink the other night at Olive Garden and rode home in the car with the air turned on full blast blowing on my ears. I also get the wonderful night sweats if I drink in the evening. Oh well, I can't wait for menopause when this happens on a regular basis
Jeanne