Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Love Affair with Herb Alpert



In the midst of all of my music, heavily dominated by Queen, David Bowie, Aerosmith, Elton John, Beatles and other favorites, I have Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. It makes me laugh, but I have to admit that I do love it. Its one of those hold overs from my early childhood. My Mom used to load up vinyl LP's onto the stereo and turn up the volume for house cleaning, for cooking. Apparently, any domestic endeavor required Herb Alpert as the background music. And even though I went 20 years or more before I re-discovered these tunes, I remembered them. Like note for note, anticipating the next bar, the next rift. It must be embedded into my subconscious somehow.

And listening to this (yes its even loaded onto my MP3 player) makes me feel happy, and joyful. I think Mom had all over his records, but I particularly remember this album. I don't think I realized, way back when I was just 4 or 5 years old, just how evocative the cover was. Is this lady really naked under all of that whipped cream? LOL. I remember seeing it and thinking how delightful it must be to be encased in all that delicious whipped cream. I wondered if she would be able to eat all of that. Ah, the innocence of the very young. And its funny just how fast a song from the past can bring back those memories.

2 comments:

Terri G said...

What a delightful sound!

My childhood music was all Contemporary Christian Music. As an adult I have hunted down most of those old albums on CD and play them often. I wonder if my kids will do the same - but with 30 Seconds to Mars and Blue October -ish stuff?

Anonymous said...

That wasn't actually whipped cream; it was shaving cream. Whipped cream would have melted within seconds under the hot lights for the photograph.