Thursday, January 27, 2011

Let's just eat out!

So, my microwave died earlier this week. We have not replaced it yet although I do miss it terribly. After work we both get all comfy and don't want to run back out again. Especially since its been chilly, damp and rainy for the most part. We will get one this weekend for sure.

But tonight my oven started working like a lame duck. It heats up really slowly because the bottom element is not turning on. It did this over Christmas, almost ruining the Christmas Eve dinner. Bruce wiggled it around a little bit and in some wonderous Christmas miracle, it worked fine on Christmas Day. Thank you Lord, cuz we had a huge 21 pound turkey thawed and ready to go. How awful it would have been not to be able to make the Christmas feast. Its worked fine since then. Until tonight. I was preheating and happened to notice it was taking forever. And yep, the bottom element is NOT working again.

Bruce is starting to accuse me of breaking all the appliances so that I can either buy new ones to match the new kitchen decor, or just eat out. LOL. I am down to only having 4 burners on the stove top and a small toaster oven to get the job done. The oven technically will cook something if you don't mind waiting for twice the time. We are hoping that its just a matter of replacing that element. Its 16 years old, but the cook top works fine (knock on wood if you are superstitious). I want this thing to hold out a while longer because I really want an induction cook top and those are still new technology and ridiculously expensive. Everything I read about them predicts that they will become more and more common and come down in price like most new things do eventually. I would love my poor old stove (being one of the smooth glass top ones) to hold out until I can afford induction. We might be eating out until the oven is fixed and the microwave replaced.......crazy how it all happens at the same time.

No comments: