Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Little Bit Trashy

I ask you....when is it ok to throw trash out of the window of a moving vehicle? I mean seriously. I know that we live on a busy road, but still. It shouldn't matter if its a city street, a suburban neighborhood road, a busy highway, or a country lane. It is NOT ok to throw garbage out of your window. EVER! It really makes me angry because we have a collection of trash show up on our road frontage all the time. I spent part of my afternoon walking the perimeter of our property with a garbage bag, picking up all the trash. Its been so windy lately that a whole lot of it had blown up against the tree line all the way in our backyard. Who does that? Somebody does, thats for sure. I have a full bag of somebody's empty bottles and cans and fastfood bags, and grocery bags....etc.

One afternoon this past week one of the ECU buses passed me going in the opposite direction while I was sitting at a stop light. Some moron threw a drink cup full of ice out of the bus window and it hit my windshield. It scared the daylights out of me. I looked up just in time to see some object hurling through the air right at my face. The fact that I had a thick piece of safety glass between me and said object didn't register. I ducked anyway, and then the cup splattered all over my car. Great job, anonymous idiot. Why do people do that? Was if too much of a hassle to just hold on to the empty cup until the bus stopped and a proper receptacle could be located? Was the cup too heavy and cumbersome?

But anyway, if I ruled the world I would spend less time arresting folks for smoking a little bit of pot now and again and concentrate my efforts on punishing the litterbugs. Get caught throwing trash on the ground and there would not only be a hefty fine, but also time spent on trash picking up duty. A LOT of time. And that is for the first offense. The second violation would involve jail time and daily picking up of the trash wearing prison garb. Maybe that would stop the trashiness.
Its inexcusable that anybody would just toss their litter out of the window, or on the ground or whatever. It doesn't just disappear into thin air when it leaves your hand.

2 comments:

Lori Kintz said...

You need to do this:

NCDOT Roadside Environmental Unit

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/operations/dp_chief_eng/roadside/Beautification/Litterbug/salform.html

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.