Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Rite-Aid Rx Saga

We have been getting our prescriptions filled at Eckerds for years. At least ten years, but maybe as many as 15...? Our Eckerds turned into Rite-Aid a couple of years ago. And I am not so sure how I feel about it now.

Day 1: I have a Dr. visit. He changes one of my prescriptions to twice a day (up from once a day). Same mg, just a different dosage. I run my Rx by Rite-aid on my way home. The pharmacist said they were out of this particular drug, but would have a shipment in the morning. Come back tomorrow. Ok, fine. Its on my way home from work so not really a big deal.

Day 2: I go by Rite-Aid on my way home from work. I ask for my Rx, and the Pharmacy assistant goes off to look for it. 15 minutes later, after slowly checking every filled script in the place, she comes back and looks at me blankly. I explained that I turned in the Rx yesterday, it wasn't in stock, so I was told I could pick it up today. She sighed as if I was inconveniencing her and went to a computer. They must still be using a dial up connection. It took another eternity. She couldn't find it, even after asking me to spell my last name 3 times in a row...everybody who might know anything was on break...(?), and maybe I should try back tomorrow.

Day 3: Different assistant, so I felt hopeful. This man couldn't find it but only needed me to spell my last name twice, and finally found it on the computer. He told me that since I had had the prescription filled only 2 weeks ago, the insurance company wouldn't let them refill it again so soon. With a heavy sigh of my soul, I explained to him as patiently as my rage would allow that this was a DIFFERENT Rx. A DIFFERENT dosage. He looked uneasy, but told me he would have to call and get it straight with the insurance company, and would I please come back tomorrow.....

Day 4: Once again, I go to Rite-Aid. I get the same assistant as the day before. The one who promised me he would get it all straightened out with the insurance company. I asked to pick up my meds. He seemed to remember me, but somehow had gotten my situation all confused. He said something about the insurance company again, I reiterated that it was a DIFFERENT dosage this time. He got on the dial-up connection computer AGAIN. And then has the audacity to come back and inform me that to get a different dosage, I would need a prescription. Like I had just decided that I wanted to up the dosage all on my own..!?!? I was sooooo NOT amused.
I told him that I had turned in the script FROM MY DR. a couple of days ago, and was still waiting for them to get it straight. He told me he would need to verify this with my Dr.'s office. He would make the phone calls, and then I could pick it up....get this...TOMORROW!!!

Day 5: I go back to Rite-Aid AGAIN! The girl was the one I dealt with first. The one who clearly couldn't find her way out of a paper bag, even if she had a flashlight and a map. She looked at me blankly. She slowly pawed through all of the ready Rx bags. She came back to tell me she couldn't find it. I leaned over the counter, got as much in her face as I could, and I told her in my best imitation of Satan that she better find it. I had been through hell and back for 5 days and I wasn't leaving until I got my damned meds! She looked scared and if she thought I was a woman on the verge of homicidal rage, she would be right. She left and a few minutes later the male assistant came back, with a BAG in his hand. But....they were almost out of stock, and he could only give me a partial refill. I could come back to pick up the rest....tomorrow!

Day 6 (also known as Today!): I run by Rite-Aid on my way home from work. The girl sees me, gets all nervous and walks to the back. The man comes up to talk to me. Yes, he realized that I only got a partial refill yesterday, BUT....in the process of trying to finish up the refill today (after that truck dropped off a shipment), that whole error message from the insurance company came up AGAIN. He is going to have to call them AGAIN. And then...who knows....I will probably go back on Friday only to find out they are out of stock AGAIN....I swear, I am ready to move all of our prescriptions to Walgreens. Or CVS.
Both of them are equally convenient to get to. At least...at the very least....I got my partial refill and have enough of this medication to last me through the weekend. Assuming that I won't be able to get my refill on Friday. I am so frustrated right now!!!!!!!!!

No comments: