Monday, August 17, 2009

Moderation

I am getting really bad at blogging lately. There is no particular reason, I just haven't had anything to say. Everything is fine around here. Good even, better than just fine. I have no idea why I keep procrastinating about sitting down here and writing a blog....

One thing I did want to say is...how confusing is it to try to have a healthy diet? We tried going vegetarian for about 2 years, thinking that would help keep us healthy (Bruce has genetically high cholesterol). We ended up cutting so much fat from our diet that we both got dry skin, dry hair, and achy joints. Apparently, the body needs fat. Also, our addiction to soy most likely caused my thyroid to give up the ghost and stop working. Oh joy. Rhymes with soy. And the crappy part of that (besides the plethora of problems I have had with thyroid disease) is that I actually like soy. I love soy milk, and veggie burgers. I was happy eating soy, but not anymore. It not only suppresses thyroid function, it also blocks thyroid meds from doing their thing. I have to be really careful because soy is added to almost everything that is "low-fat". Just check out the ingredients listed on a whole string of things like bread, low-fat mayo. Soy is listed on so many products, its really hard to avoid.

After the vegetarian diet wreaked havoc with our health, we gave up and started following what our doctor recommends "everything in moderation". Well, ok, we don't follow it precisely. There are lot of things that I don't eat in moderation (like chocolate). But we still try to avoid eating high fat, high cholesterol foods. Like red meat. And eggs. Which is another one of those completely confusing diet dilemmas. We have avoided real eggs for years, using those egg beater egg white substitutes. Well, its real eggs, just without the yolks. I have never developed a taste for them, although some people claim not to be able to taste a difference. I don't mind them in baking, but scrambled? I will just eat something else, thank you.

And now....there was just an article in the new issue of Reader's Digest claiming that eggs are healthy. That eggs can raise your HDL's (the good cholesterol) more than almost any other food. That an egg a day is good for you....What the hell? Soy is good but it almost killed me. Eggs are bad, but now they are good....???????
How the heck can you know what to do with all of the conflicting information out there? I am about to throw in the towel and just assume that we are all going to die of something anyway, so I am going to eat what I like. In fact, it was late and I was tired when dinnertime came around, so I celebrated the article we had just read and made a quick, easy (and pretty yummy) dinner of scrambled eggs and toast.
With REAL eggs. And it was delicious, too. We both enjoyed it.

3 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

It's all so confusing, isn't it? We were discussing low-carb diets at work today and it got all ridiculous.

And soy does terrible things to me for some reason.

Unknown said...

i love eggs! also, avocado is supposed to be super good for raising hdl's. :)

Kintzcc said...

It is rather horrible. I have no idea why. I often remember that ancient Rome didn't know lead was bad for them. I wonder what toxic crap we are eating.