Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Shame



Body Combat:

"BODYCOMBAT™ is the empowering cardio workout where you are totally unleashed. This fiercely energetic program is inspired by martial arts and draws from a wide array of disciplines such as Karate, boxing, Taekwondo, Tai Chi and Muay Thai. Supported by driving music and powerful role model instructors strike, punch, kick and kata your way through calories to superior cardio fitness."

I should have gotten a clue from those words "fiercely energetic". Of course, I didn't. And while I am happy to say that I did not fall and break a hip like I was afraid I might, I shamefully did not make it more than 15 minutes into the class. It was so fast, and hard to follow...Punch, Jab, Kick, Jab, Kick, Punch....all while doing these bouncing boxing moves with your feet. I was pitifully inept, and uncoordinated. Not to mention that I was sweating and so out of breath by the time that I walked out that I thought I might begin to die at any moment. I was the first to drop out. Hannia followed me not too long afterwards. Bruce made it through the whole class, but he was exhausted. Still, that was impressive. Needless to say, I despised it. I ended up finishing the hour on the elliptical, feeling dejected and ashamed....

After class, the instructor Allison (who knows me from the Yoga classes that she teaches) made it a point to corner me and try to impart some words of encouragement.
She said it was easily the hardest class that they offer, and if I would only give it a chance, try it again a couple of more times, I would find that I could make it further and further each time until I finally had it down and could do the entire class without dying. Maybe....but right now my hatred of it makes me want to never go back to that class again. Of course, my son called as soon as we got home to say that he heard that I didn't make it for the entire class. And also that it "sounds like fun", and he is interested in taking it. For him, I MIGHT go back at least one more time and see if I am judging it too harshly. If I even make it for 20 minutes this time around, I would see it as progress. I don't know...I am torn. Try again until I get it right? Or give up and stick with the classes that I enjoy. Because while I didn't actually break a hip, I DID feel some sharp pain in my right hip during one of those high, sideways kicks....HA HA!

1 comment:

Maria said...

I cannot even imagine the pain....